Our Partnership with Backpack Buddies
Many students in our area depend on school breakfast and lunch for nourishent. When the weekend comes, they often go without food. Backpack Buddies provides the students with a small bag of food that is discreetly placed in the child’s backpack on Friday afternoons so that they have a supply of food for the weekend. The principal and the guidance counselors in the local school select students. Currently we are serving 150 students per week. We hope to expand our reach to include more schools in our community as the funding and support increases. Items are collected here at the Mill, the Kids of the Mill pack the bags on Wednesday nights, and the food is delivered on Thursday mornings to the schools.
How you can be involved
· Donate pop-top items such as Chef Boyardee, mac & cheese, fruit cups, juice boxes, cereal bars, peanut-free snack food and gallon Ziploc bags.
· Donate money or gift cards that can be used to purchase food.
How you can pray
· Pray for the growth of Backpack Buddies. There are big needs at other nearby schools, but we aren’t able to support them yet.
· Pray for the nourishment of the students and the families of those who we currently support.
· Pray that the students would experience the love of Christ through this ministry.